samedi 17 novembre 2018

The Acropolis in Athens. By Thomas P.


My favourite cultural heritage site is the Acropolis of Athens. I love it, first because I believe in ancient Greek religion, and secondly because it’s a place that is important for all cultures, indeed for all the people of the world.

Athens was where democracy and modern science started. The main thinkers of the world were from there, people like Pythagoras, Socrates and Plato. These people are studied even today, and we continue to learn by reading their works. For example, a genius called Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the Earth. Just think, 1000 years after him, people in Europe thought that the Earth was flat, and, today, we use his calculus in modern astrophysics. Athens was the most powerful place in the world for more than five hundred years.

If you think about it, there is no cathedral, no mosque or synagogue that is as well-known as the Acropolis. I just find it incredible. The Parthenon survived so many wars, so many invasions! It is still there, maybe in ruins, but it is still there.

I think the Acropolis of Athens will surely survive us all.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire